Home Fine Cigar
Room
Accessories
Room
Trading
Room
Clubhouse
Room
Political
Room
Retailers
Room
Events
Room
Chat
Room
Join the
Cigar Family!
Member
Directory
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   CigarFamily.com -- Official Site of the Arturo Fuente and J.C. Newman Cigar Family > The Clubhouse Room
Reload this Page Any interest in having another CF Auction?
alwayssmokin       Mar. 12, 2012 03:26 pm
d2d4       Mar. 12, 2012 05:16 pm
ChiTown_Huck       Mar. 12, 2012 05:59 pm
ChampBoat       Mar. 12, 2012 06:09 pm
SAF       Mar. 12, 2012 06:13 pm
Docbarry       Mar. 12, 2012 06:14 pm
PSU OpusX       Mar. 12, 2012 06:18 pm
NJLimoDriver       Mar. 12, 2012 09:02 pm
alwayssmokin       Mar. 13, 2012 08:33 am
FlyFish       Mar. 13, 2012 08:45 am
rollout       Mar. 13, 2012 08:46 am
mrsea       Mar. 13, 2012 08:58 am
grateful1       Mar. 13, 2012 09:10 am
Fuente Fan       Mar. 13, 2012 09:16 am
beparrish       Mar. 13, 2012 09:22 am
grateful1       Mar. 13, 2012 09:32 am
BrooklynNYCigarLover       Mar. 13, 2012 09:39 am
beparrish       Mar. 13, 2012 09:46 am
beparrish       Mar. 13, 2012 09:51 am
moki       Mar. 13, 2012 09:54 am
Wanger       Mar. 13, 2012 10:00 am
Philly Smoker       Mar. 13, 2012 10:45 am
SRex       Mar. 13, 2012 10:57 am
ChampBoat       Mar. 13, 2012 10:58 am
Fuente Fan       Mar. 13, 2012 10:59 am
alwayssmokin       Mar. 13, 2012 11:02 am
Edman       Mar. 13, 2012 11:27 am
family guy       Mar. 13, 2012 11:46 am
insight       Mar. 13, 2012 12:49 pm
norton       Mar. 13, 2012 12:49 pm
family guy       Mar. 13, 2012 12:59 pm
alwayssmokin       Mar. 13, 2012 01:09 pm
petecaps       Mar. 13, 2012 01:10 pm
Judge Vitola       Mar. 13, 2012 01:29 pm
BrooklynNYCigarLover       Mar. 13, 2012 01:36 pm
petecaps       Mar. 13, 2012 01:43 pm
norton       Mar. 13, 2012 01:55 pm
alwayssmokin       Mar. 13, 2012 02:02 pm
alwayssmokin       Mar. 13, 2012 02:06 pm
XTR       Mar. 13, 2012 02:39 pm
norton       Mar. 13, 2012 02:52 pm
codeyf       Mar. 13, 2012 03:21 pm
Wanger       Mar. 13, 2012 03:40 pm
hoffman       Mar. 13, 2012 03:55 pm
tradusir       Mar. 13, 2012 03:58 pm
norton       Mar. 13, 2012 05:15 pm
WAYCIGARS       Mar. 13, 2012 07:06 pm
Tuse       Mar. 13, 2012 07:44 pm
garHead       Mar. 13, 2012 07:49 pm
LigeroBoy82       Mar. 13, 2012 07:53 pm
ncohafmuta       Mar. 14, 2012 03:54 am
family guy       Mar. 14, 2012 08:04 am
Fuente Fan       Mar. 14, 2012 08:14 am
XTR       Mar. 14, 2012 02:06 pm
norton       Mar. 14, 2012 02:11 pm
norton       Mar. 14, 2012 02:13 pm
Bman925       Mar. 14, 2012 03:21 pm
WAYCIGARS       Mar. 14, 2012 03:32 pm
WAYCIGARS       Mar. 14, 2012 03:36 pm
ncohafmuta       Mar. 14, 2012 06:38 pm
opusXmarco       Mar. 14, 2012 09:04 pm
opusXmarco       Mar. 14, 2012 09:05 pm
mrsea       Mar. 15, 2012 12:53 am
Ric Web       Mar. 15, 2012 10:45 am
alwayssmokin       Mar. 15, 2012 10:48 am
Ric Web       Mar. 15, 2012 10:52 am
alwayssmokin       Mar. 15, 2012 11:02 am
Ric Web       Mar. 15, 2012 12:33 pm
alwayssmokin       Mar. 15, 2012 12:38 pm

Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Any interest in having another CF Auction?
(#1)
Old
alwayssmokin's Avatar
alwayssmokin is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 12,932
View Traders Comments
Join Date: November 4, 2001
Default Any interest in having another CF Auction? - March 12, 2012, 03:26 PM

Several have mentioned missing them but I have no idea what the majority think. I have always enjoyed them but it can only work if enough people participate.

What say ye??

Yay of Nay??


[SIGPIC][/SIGPI
Reply With Quote
(#2)
Old
No Avatar
d2d4 is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 1,816
View Traders Comments
Join Date: March 29, 2002
Default March 12, 2012, 05:16 PM

In my early days of membership I donated far more than I was ever able to afford to win, which was cool because I loved participating in some small way. I think when all the really HTFs started becoming easily obtainable in LV if you have the coin, a ton of interest died. Some of the auctions Ric orchestrated were nothing short of fantastic!

Ahhhhh the good old days!
Reply With Quote
(#3)
Old
ChiTown_Huck's Avatar
ChiTown_Huck is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 2,625
View Traders Comments
Join Date: September 25, 2006
Default March 12, 2012, 05:59 PM

I would love to see an auction happen. Problem for me is being able to win one of the auctions.


All who Yonder are not lost

"If you ever reach total enlightenment while you're drinking a beer, I bet it makes beer shoot out your nose." Jack Handy
Reply With Quote
(#4)
Old
ChampBoat's Avatar
ChampBoat is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 4,379
View Traders Comments
Join Date: November 8, 2002
Send a message via AIM to ChampBoat
Default March 12, 2012, 06:09 PM

Personally, I prefer to buy my cigars at 1/4 the price and send CCF a check
Reply With Quote
(#5)
Old
SAF's Avatar
SAF is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 16,604
View Traders Comments
Join Date: April 26, 1998
Default March 12, 2012, 06:13 PM

Go for it, it gives us more stuff to surf on the site.
Reply With Quote
(#6)
Old
Docbarry's Avatar
Docbarry is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 22,891
View Traders Comments
Join Date: October 15, 1998
Send a message via AIM to Docbarry
Default March 12, 2012, 06:14 PM

When we started having auctions back in 1999 the membership was quite different. We had a number of retailers and even some manufacturers (Not F-N) coming to the boards. The items were auctioned for reasonable prices and a lot of money was raised.

The last few auctions seemed to be bidding wars between the haves and the have nots with the haves outbidding by quite a lot.


C:\Documents and Settings\Barry\My Documents\My Pictures\wtc.jpg

ECSBC CHARTER MEMBER Tobacco is a filthy weed, I like it... Docmail
Reply With Quote
(#7)
Old
PSU OpusX's Avatar
PSU OpusX is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 7,260
View Traders Comments
Join Date: May 22, 2006
Default March 12, 2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docbarry View Post

The last few auctions seemed to be bidding wars between the haves and the have nots with the haves outbidding by quite a lot.
I agree Doc. One of the first auctions that I saw was when I joined CF. I thought I would able to win some auctions as I was a young buck chasing the uber hard chit. I was blown away of how much some of the bids ended so friggin high.

I am down as putting together a donation as I need to thin the herd.
Reply With Quote
(#8)
Old
NJLimoDriver's Avatar
NJLimoDriver is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 6,711
View Traders Comments
Join Date: December 24, 2003
Default March 12, 2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampBoat View Post
Personally, I prefer to buy my cigars at 1/4 the price and send CFCF a check
fixee and agree


My granddaughter Brynn - she reminds me what is really important
Reply With Quote
(#9)
Old
alwayssmokin's Avatar
alwayssmokin is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 12,932
View Traders Comments
Join Date: November 4, 2001
Default March 13, 2012, 08:33 AM

Good information so far. Appears there is a need for quite a few smaller lots so more people can be involved. Keep the suggestions coming.


[SIGPIC][/SIGPI
Reply With Quote
(#10)
Old
FlyFish's Avatar
FlyFish is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 8,058
View Traders Comments
Join Date: August 9, 2002
Default March 13, 2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docbarry View Post
When we started having auctions back in 1999 the membership was quite different. We had a number of retailers and even some manufacturers (Not F-N) coming to the boards. The items were auctioned for reasonable prices and a lot of money was raised.

The last few auctions seemed to be bidding wars between the haves and the have nots with the haves outbidding by quite a lot.
I agree with Doc's perspective but speaking as a definite have-not I'm OK with it. I get a kick out of watching the action.


Inconceivable - You keep using that word, I don't think it means what you think it means.
Reply With Quote
(#11)
Old
rollout's Avatar
rollout is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 14,886
View Traders Comments
Join Date: April 28, 1998
Default March 13, 2012, 08:46 AM

Have some raffle items.

Bill
Reply With Quote
(#12)
Old
mrsea's Avatar
mrsea is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 8,992
View Traders Comments
Join Date: December 10, 1998
Default March 13, 2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayssmokin View Post
Several have mentioned missing them but I have no idea what the majority think. I have always enjoyed them but it can only work if enough people participate.

What say ye??

Yay of Nay??
Yay!


Fish and Visitors, stink,after 3 days...
Reply With Quote
(#13)
Old
grateful1's Avatar
grateful1 is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 4,756
View Traders Comments
Join Date: August 25, 2004
Default March 13, 2012, 09:10 AM

I have three Forbidden X 13 I'd be willing to supply!

Reply With Quote
(#14)
Old
Fuente Fan's Avatar
Fuente Fan is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 27,863
View Traders Comments
Join Date: March 7, 1998
Default March 13, 2012, 09:16 AM

I have Carlos's boxers.


Carlos missed, but never forgotten.
Reply With Quote
(#15)
Old
beparrish's Avatar
beparrish is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 5,666
View Traders Comments
Join Date: August 3, 2004
Default March 13, 2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuente Fan View Post
I have Carlos's boxers and a stash of Flor de Baloneys.
fix.t.
Reply With Quote
(#16)
Old
grateful1's Avatar
grateful1 is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 4,756
View Traders Comments
Join Date: August 25, 2004
Default March 13, 2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuente Fan View Post
I have Carlos's boxers.
Are they signed?
Reply With Quote
(#17)
Old
BrooklynNYCigarLover's Avatar
BrooklynNYCigarLover is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 2,710
View Traders Comments
Join Date: January 29, 2010
Default March 13, 2012, 09:39 AM

Ye!


Carlito and the Soilers world tour 2012
Reply With Quote
(#18)
Old
beparrish's Avatar
beparrish is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 5,666
View Traders Comments
Join Date: August 3, 2004
Default March 13, 2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuente Fan View Post
I have Carlos's boxers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grateful1 View Post
Are they signed?
Seeing that Brad is getting up in years, I would suspect that they are not signed, just soiled.
Reply With Quote
(#19)
Old
beparrish's Avatar
beparrish is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 5,666
View Traders Comments
Join Date: August 3, 2004
Default March 13, 2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docbarry View Post
The last few auctions seemed to be bidding wars between the haves and the have nots with the haves outbidding by quite a lot.
This has been my experience with the few auctions that occured after I joined here. But that is no reason not to do it, because to me, the purpose is to raise money for CFCF, not put HTF cigars into my humidor.

If the auction raises a lot of money for the kids and I get shut out, I'm not bothered in the least.

However, I do recall that the last big auction here had a caveat for those with less funds. They offered a 2pk of cigars (Opus Lancero and Diamond Crown Maximus Perfecto) for $50 to the first 100 folks who responded. That was a nice touch, and allowed those with less discretionary funds to still participate.

And heck, you can always be like those guys on "Storage Wars" and just drive the bidding up for those folks that you don't like.
Reply With Quote
(#20)
Old
moki's Avatar
moki is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 19,238
View Traders Comments
Join Date: February 7, 2004
Default March 13, 2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampBoat View Post
Personally, I prefer to buy my cigars at 1/4 the price and send CCF a check
Certainly an option... but a public auction tends to get more people involved in the cause, either as participants or observers... which is always a good thing for a charity.


This signature intentionally left blank
Reply With Quote
(#21)
Old
Wanger's Avatar
Wanger is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 5,484
View Traders Comments
Join Date: June 6, 2005
Send a message via MSN to Wanger Send a message via Skype™ to Wanger
Default March 13, 2012, 10:00 AM

As has been stated by others...the "have nots" tend not to be able to get involved much. Unfortunately, I'm one of those. I'd love to be able to be more involved in the auctions, but I don't have much that's worth putting up for auction, and the way the bids increase, I'm out of it before it even starts.


This space reserved for future use.
Reply With Quote
(#22)
Old
No Avatar
Philly Smoker is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Join Date: January 23, 2012
Default March 13, 2012, 10:45 AM

Some suggestions to keep others involved:
Raffle
Have a few blind lots - don't announce what it in them, just the number of sticks. Assuming the price wouldn't go too high for these.
Reply With Quote
(#23)
Old
SRex's Avatar
SRex is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 10,571
View Traders Comments
Join Date: March 20, 2000
Send a message via MSN to SRex
Default March 13, 2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beparrish View Post
However, I do recall that the last big auction here had a caveat for those with less funds. They offered a 2pk of cigars (Opus Lancero and Diamond Crown Maximus Perfecto) for $50 to the first 100 folks who responded. That was a nice touch, and allowed those with less discretionary funds to still participate.
This happened at several of the auctions and worked out great. It was the only item I've ever won in the CFCF auctions!
Reply With Quote
(#24)
Old
ChampBoat's Avatar
ChampBoat is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 4,379
View Traders Comments
Join Date: November 8, 2002
Send a message via AIM to ChampBoat
Default March 13, 2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moki View Post
Certainly an option... but a public auction tends to get more people involved in the cause, either as participants or observers... which is always a good thing for a charity.
I agree
Reply With Quote
(#25)
Old
Fuente Fan's Avatar
Fuente Fan is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 27,863
View Traders Comments
Join Date: March 7, 1998
Default March 13, 2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beparrish View Post
Seeing that Brad is getting up in years, I would suspect that they are not signed, just soiled.
And they could be in your hands soon!


Carlos missed, but never forgotten.
Reply With Quote
(#26)
Old
alwayssmokin's Avatar
alwayssmokin is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 12,932
View Traders Comments
Join Date: November 4, 2001
Default March 13, 2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRex View Post
This happened at several of the auctions and worked out great. It was the only item I've ever won in the CFCF auctions!
Maybe come up with 100-150 $50 packs and exclude anyone who wins an auction from getting one in order to allow those who didn't win an auction to be able to participate?


[SIGPIC][/SIGPI
Reply With Quote
(#27)
Old
Edman's Avatar
Edman is Online

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 5,594
View Traders Comments
Join Date: July 9, 1998
Default March 13, 2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollout View Post
Have some raffle items.

Bill
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayssmokin View Post
Maybe come up with 100-150 $50 packs and exclude anyone who wins an auction from getting one in order to allow those who didn't win an auction to be able to participate?
and this.



"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

www.reelrecovery.org
Reply With Quote
(#28)
Old
family guy's Avatar
family guy is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 2,390
View Traders Comments
Join Date: March 11, 2011
Default March 13, 2012, 11:46 AM

YAY!


Quote:

Dallas & FG by mcmcapital44, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
(#29)
Old
insight's Avatar
insight is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 1,570
View Traders Comments
Join Date: October 1, 2006
Default March 13, 2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayssmokin View Post
Maybe come up with 100-150 $50 packs and exclude anyone who wins an auction from getting one in order to allow those who didn't win an auction to be able to participate?
Good idea!
Reply With Quote
(#30)
Old
No Avatar
norton is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 13,237
View Traders Comments
Join Date: January 22, 2001
Default March 13, 2012, 12:49 PM

Let the masses vote on a custom-made vitola. Make the said vitola. Offer the vitola in exchange for a donation to CFCF. Ship vitola to Newman. Distribute from there.

Bundles of 20 for $200 donation. Some CFers wil buy 10 bundles and some will go halfsies to get 10 sticks each.

Only available to members of the site that partook in the vote of the winning vitola.

I vote Centro Fino Lancero.


This site is for MY entertainment. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
(#31)
Old
family guy's Avatar
family guy is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 2,390
View Traders Comments
Join Date: March 11, 2011
Default March 13, 2012, 12:59 PM

DC Julius Caeser Lancero


Quote:

Dallas & FG by mcmcapital44, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
(#32)
Old
alwayssmokin's Avatar
alwayssmokin is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 12,932
View Traders Comments
Join Date: November 4, 2001
Default March 13, 2012, 01:09 PM

Not sure how long it would take to get cigars made


[SIGPIC][/SIGPI
Reply With Quote
(#33)
Old
petecaps's Avatar
petecaps is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 20,319
View Traders Comments
Join Date: May 21, 2000
Send a message via ICQ to petecaps
Default March 13, 2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moki View Post
Certainly an option... but a public auction tends to get more people involved in the cause, either as participants or observers... which is always a good thing for a charity.
Agreed.

Now, will you come back to Tokyo. I can only do so much...


Yurz.
Reply With Quote
(#34)
Old
No Avatar
Judge Vitola is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 3,313
View Traders Comments
Join Date: June 4, 2003
Default March 13, 2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayssmokin View Post
Maybe come up with 100-150 $50 packs and exclude anyone who wins an auction from getting one in order to allow those who didn't win an auction to be able to participate?
Not sure about this one. Possibly exclude until the auction's end. Then if there are any left, allow those who did win auctions to partake on a first come, first served basis. In any event, to permanently exclude based solely on the ability to win another auction seems, well, un-American.

". . . after all, we are not communists." Don Barzini, The Godfather
Reply With Quote
(#35)
Old
BrooklynNYCigarLover's Avatar
BrooklynNYCigarLover is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 2,710
View Traders Comments
Join Date: January 29, 2010
Default March 13, 2012, 01:36 PM

Bottom line this is about donating to charity! If there is a cigar you want put up an ISO and maybe you'll get lucky. If you want to donate you can just do it here http://cf-cf.org/info/index.php?opti...d=55&Itemid=98 In an auction like this some regular released cigars will sell for 2x 3x 4x 5x there msrp. Its about raising money for the charity not buying cigars!! Haves have nots whatever you shouldnt be upset you couldnt "donate" because you can!!! If not monetarily spread the word of what CFCF is!!!!!!


Carlito and the Soilers world tour 2012
Reply With Quote
(#36)
Old
petecaps's Avatar
petecaps is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 20,319
View Traders Comments
Join Date: May 21, 2000
Send a message via ICQ to petecaps
Default March 13, 2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynNYCigarLover View Post
Bottom line this is about donating to charity! If there is a cigar you want put up an ISO and maybe you'll get lucky. If you want to donate you can just do it here http://cf-cf.org/info/index.php?opti...d=55&Itemid=98 In an auction like this some regular released cigars will sell for 2x 3x 4x 5x there msrp. Its about raising money for the charity not buying cigars!! Haves have nots whatever you shouldnt be upset you couldnt "donate" because you can!!! If not monetarily spread the word of what CFCF is!!!!!!
STFU and get to work making my sausage!!!


Yurz.
Reply With Quote
(#37)
Old
No Avatar
norton is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 13,237
View Traders Comments
Join Date: January 22, 2001
Default March 13, 2012, 01:55 PM

Hollan, they could be interactive. Post a clip of them choosing the tabac, then another clip of the sorters, and yet another of the rollers, etc. It would be kind of cool to watch your own private cigars being made. It would get the F&N folks on CF more. It would allow those that have never been to the DR to get an inside (although video) look. It would allow those who never donated to be able to donate. It would make the winning vitola something truly special - created by the Board for the good of the children.


This site is for MY entertainment. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
(#38)
Old
alwayssmokin's Avatar
alwayssmokin is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 12,932
View Traders Comments
Join Date: November 4, 2001
Default March 13, 2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Vitola View Post
Not sure about this one. Possibly exclude until the auction's end. Then if there are any left, allow those who did win auctions to partake on a first come, first served basis. In any event, to permanently exclude based solely on the ability to win another auction seems, well, un-American.

". . . after all, we are not communists." Don Barzini, The Godfather
Overruled!! LOL

Works for me, I don't make the rules just getting ideas/suggestions out there so those that do can see what CFers are thinking.


[SIGPIC][/SIGPI
Reply With Quote
(#39)
Old
alwayssmokin's Avatar
alwayssmokin is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 12,932
View Traders Comments
Join Date: November 4, 2001
Default March 13, 2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
Hollan, they could be interactive. Post a clip of them choosing the tabac, then another clip of the sorters, and yet another of the rollers, etc. It would be kind of cool to watch your own private cigars being made. It would get the F&N folks on CF more. It would allow those that have never been to the DR to get an inside (although video) look. It would allow those who never donated to be able to donate. It would make the winning vitola something truly special - created by the Board for the good of the children.
Got it, again I don't make the rules. Drew posted an Auction might be possible if there was enough interest so I posted a thread to test the waters. Its also a good way to get ideas to make it better. Thanks for the idea.


[SIGPIC][/SIGPI
Reply With Quote
(#40)
Old
XTR's Avatar
XTR is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 7,801
View Traders Comments
Join Date: February 18, 1999
Send a message via ICQ to XTR
Default March 13, 2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
Let the masses vote on a custom-made vitola. Make the said vitola. Offer the vitola in exchange for a donation to CFCF. Ship vitola to Newman. Distribute from there.

Bundles of 20 for $200 donation. Some CFers wil buy 10 bundles and some will go halfsies to get 10 sticks each.

Only available to members of the site that partook in the vote of the winning vitola.

I vote Centro Fino Lancero.
If it was decided today it would be 2112 before the boxes/bands were ready. I won't live that long.
Reply With Quote
(#41)
Old
No Avatar
norton is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 13,237
View Traders Comments
Join Date: January 22, 2001
Default March 13, 2012, 02:52 PM

Wade - they'd be aged though.


This site is for MY entertainment. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
(#42)
Old
codeyf's Avatar
codeyf is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 2,833
View Traders Comments
Join Date: June 12, 2006
Send a message via MSN to codeyf
Default March 13, 2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
Hollan, they could be interactive. Post a clip of them choosing the tabac, then another clip of the sorters, and yet another of the rollers, etc. It would be kind of cool to watch your own private cigars being made. It would get the F&N folks on CF more. It would allow those that have never been to the DR to get an inside (although video) look. It would allow those who never donated to be able to donate. It would make the winning vitola something truly special - created by the Board for the good of the children.
Some great ideas here, this one taking the cake. It would definitely be bad ass to "follow my cigars" through the whole process. But the timing would be difficult, as for me, patience isn't one of my virtues.
Reply With Quote
(#43)
Old
Wanger's Avatar
Wanger is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 5,484
View Traders Comments
Join Date: June 6, 2005
Send a message via MSN to Wanger Send a message via Skype™ to Wanger
Default March 13, 2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayssmokin View Post
Not sure how long it would take to get cigars made
Not as long as it would take to get the boxes made.


This space reserved for future use.
Reply With Quote
(#44)
Old
hoffman's Avatar
hoffman is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 17,366
View Traders Comments
Join Date: March 25, 1999
Default March 13, 2012, 03:55 PM

No boxes needed, just bundle them with a ribbon and wrap them in foil.


dhoffman1421 at att dot net
Reply With Quote
(#45)
Old
tradusir's Avatar
tradusir is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 4,265
View Traders Comments
Join Date: December 21, 2005
Send a message via MSN to tradusir Send a message via Yahoo to tradusir Send a message via Skype™ to tradusir
Default March 13, 2012, 03:58 PM

What Wanger said in #21 above...


NOTHING beats a nice time smoking a CIGAR!
Reply With Quote
(#46)
Old
No Avatar
norton is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 13,237
View Traders Comments
Join Date: January 22, 2001
Default March 13, 2012, 05:15 PM

Just thought it would be cool for F&N folks to get more involved in CF website. We could meet some of the rollers (on video).


This site is for MY entertainment. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
(#47)
Old
No Avatar
WAYCIGARS is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Join Date: March 22, 2010
Default March 13, 2012, 07:06 PM

Lots of good ideas.

It could be that once you bid, you can't bid on another lot til auction is over.
Set sale is better. Have a few cigars or lots. Tony did this, and it seemed fair.

The problem here is a lot of CFers want or need to buy well below MSRP. That's cool. But doesn't raise a lot of funds.

The rollers idea is great. Bid on a rolled stick, you see in a video. I like that too.
It's all worth another try.

By the by, I need a football. LOL
Reply With Quote
(#48)
Old
No Avatar
Tuse is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 3,722
View Traders Comments
Join Date: April 11, 2001
Default March 13, 2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAYCIGARS View Post
Lots of good ideas.

It could be that once you bid, you can't bid on another lot til auction is over.
Set sale is better. Have a few cigars or lots. Tony did this, and it seemed fair.

The problem here is a lot of CFers want or need to buy well below MSRP. That's cool. But doesn't raise a lot of funds.

The rollers idea is great. Bid on a rolled stick, you see in a video. I like that too.
It's all worth another try.

By the by, I need a football. LOL
In over 10 years I've never seen an auction where any cigar went under MSRP. Usually several times MSRP.


RIP Waliguy
Reply With Quote
(#49)
Old
garHead's Avatar
garHead is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 14,198
View Traders Comments
Join Date: July 19, 1999
Default March 13, 2012, 07:49 PM

all in.

IT'S FOR THE KIDS RIGHT!


"The problem with socialism is that eventually you run out of other people's money."
Maggie Thatcher

Goodfellas don't sue goodfellas," he replied. "Goodfellas kill goodfellas." they settled out of court.
Reply With Quote
(#50)
Old
LigeroBoy82's Avatar
LigeroBoy82 is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 1,575
View Traders Comments
Join Date: January 4, 2010
Default March 13, 2012, 07:53 PM

I'm in as long as we aren't bidding on a date with Len.


Screw the cowbell, we need more quarter. Moki Enterprises
Reply With Quote
(#51)
Old
ncohafmuta's Avatar
ncohafmuta is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 2,514
View Traders Comments
Join Date: December 14, 2009
Send a message via Yahoo to ncohafmuta
Default March 14, 2012, 03:54 AM

the raffle is an interesting idea to try. do one a month. maybe a 5 pack of something special we can get from FN. doesn't have to be super rare or anything. everybody that's interested does their $20 donation (or whatever) during the month. organizer collects confirmation #s from the donation and corresponding usernames. puts 'em in a hat at the end of the month and yanks one out.
kind of roll it in with PostOTM and PicOTM.
if there's enough money being made to cover it, maybe those that didn't win in 1 month get their numbers automatically entered in the next, i dont know, 2 raffles.
i'd run it if enough people thought it was a good idea.

-Tony


Please do not breathe while i'm smoking.
---
CFCF Centurion

Reply With Quote
(#52)
Old
family guy's Avatar
family guy is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 2,390
View Traders Comments
Join Date: March 11, 2011
Default March 14, 2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAYCIGARS View Post
The problem here is a lot of CFers want or need to buy well below MSRP. That's cool. But doesn't raise a lot of funds.
All because people will not pay YOU 3x MSRP for your crap doesn't mean they won't for a charity auction. If the auction were half of what was years ago. The result would be outstanding.

I also think Case Fuente has cut into some of the excitement as you can now purchase there, what was so hard to find before.


Quote:

Dallas & FG by mcmcapital44, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
(#53)
Old
Fuente Fan's Avatar
Fuente Fan is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 27,863
View Traders Comments
Join Date: March 7, 1998
Default March 14, 2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTR View Post
If it was decided today it would be 2112 before the boxes/bands were ready. I won't live that long.
If we did this on OLH we could get 3X the money


Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
Just thought it would be cool for F&N folks to get more involved in CF website. We could meet some of the rollers (on video).

Nick ask someone like Wade how much time he has to be on his website? As far as meeting to rollers, you have that option each each CFC is in the DR. Not saying this isn't good, just saying there is a lot more involved here in making this happen than you think.


Carlos missed, but never forgotten.
Reply With Quote
(#54)
Old
XTR's Avatar
XTR is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 7,801
View Traders Comments
Join Date: February 18, 1999
Send a message via ICQ to XTR
Default March 14, 2012, 02:06 PM

It would be interesting; but I have a suspicion that the internet cigar community today is not what it was when the CF auctions were last held, and the return may not be a great as you would expect. We were on the tail end of a boom, there were a lot of people who were new to cigars, or had re-discovered them. Do you recall back in 2000/1001 people would wait up till midnight when registration opened to make sure that the got a spot at CFC. Not so much today.

I also think that to some extent people have been burned out on special editions. Back when Carlito was making stuff for the auctions nobody had ever seen anything like the stuff he was rolling, they truely were special, and the people who were copying him were making crap.

Today there are limited editions up the arse, I think everything Pete Johnson has rolled may be a limited edition (I guess he'll run out of shapes/packages eventually), and there are fewer people willing to toss out hard cash for something that they will never smoke (Moki excepted). Part of the "je ne sais quoi" of the unreleased stuff was to share it, show it off if you will, with people when you got together at herfs. When's the last time you got together for a herf? Ten yrs ago we were doing it from New Hampshire to La Jolla to Seattle.



Please don't misunderstand me, I'd love to see another auction that raised 10s of thousands for the CFCF but I think the passion may have waned, at least for now.
Reply With Quote
(#55)
Old
No Avatar
norton is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 13,237
View Traders Comments
Join Date: January 22, 2001
Wink March 14, 2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncohafmuta View Post
the raffle is an interesting idea to try. do one a month. maybe a 5 pack of something special we can get from FN. doesn't have to be super rare or anything. everybody that's interested does their $20 donation (or whatever) during the month. organizer collects confirmation #s from the donation and corresponding usernames. puts 'em in a hat at the end of the month and yanks one out.
kind of roll it in with PostOTM and PicOTM.
if there's enough money being made to cover it, maybe those that didn't win in 1 month get their numbers automatically entered in the next, i dont know, 2 raffles.
i'd run it if enough people thought it was a good idea.

-Tony
Did the raffle years ago for a well. I think almost 85% of ticket buyers won something. Seemed like a fair way to do it. If someone does a raffle, I'll donate some smokes. BTW - do folks still like Casa Magnas around here?


This site is for MY entertainment. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
(#56)
Old
No Avatar
norton is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 13,237
View Traders Comments
Join Date: January 22, 2001
Default March 14, 2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTR View Post
It would be interesting; but I have a suspicion that the internet cigar community today is not what it was when the CF auctions were last held, and the return may not be a great as you would expect. We were on the tail end of a boom, there were a lot of people who were new to cigars, or had re-discovered them. Do you recall back in 2000/1001 people would wait up till midnight when registration opened to make sure that the got a spot at CFC. Not so much today.

I also think that to some extent people have been burned out on special editions. Back when Carlito was making stuff for the auctions nobody had ever seen anything like the stuff he was rolling, they truely were special, and the people who were copying him were making crap.

Today there are limited editions up the arse, I think everything Pete Johnson has rolled may be a limited edition (I guess he'll run out of shapes/packages eventually), and there are fewer people willing to toss out hard cash for something that they will never smoke (Moki excepted). Part of the "je ne sais quoi" of the unreleased stuff was to share it, show it off if you will, with people when you got together at herfs. When's the last time you got together for a herf? Ten yrs ago we were doing it from New Hampshire to La Jolla to Seattle.



Please don't misunderstand me, I'd love to see another auction that raised 10s of thousands for the CFCF but I think the passion may have waned, at least for now.
Good post. Except for the Pete thing - everything he makes is limited because he is a boutique. Remember Moore & Bode? Boutique baby. LOL


This site is for MY entertainment. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
(#57)
Old
Bman925's Avatar
Bman925 is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Join Date: June 19, 2010
Send a message via AIM to Bman925
Default March 14, 2012, 03:21 PM

I'm a bit mixed up. Are we talking about having Fuente make a series of cigars and offering them to auction, or are we talking about cf members putting lots together from their own collections?

I know that in the last year or so there was at least one instance where someone put up some rare sticks with the proceeds going to cigar family. I won them.

I'm up for it either way. I just wouldn't want to over complicate things. I'd say just put up lots in the auction room, set a time limit and have at it like at the auction tables at any fund raiser you go to.
Reply With Quote
(#58)
Old
No Avatar
WAYCIGARS is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Join Date: March 22, 2010
Default March 14, 2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grateful1 View Post
I have three Forbidden X 13 I'd be willing to supply!

That's great, you found some more. As a few peeps said ya'll would.
Reply With Quote
(#59)
Old
No Avatar
WAYCIGARS is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Join Date: March 22, 2010
Default March 14, 2012, 03:36 PM

[QUOTE=family guy;3608247]All because people will not pay YOU 3x MSRP for your crap doesn't mean they won't for a charity auction. If the auction were half of what was years ago. The result would be outstanding.

Fact is that nothing I sold here was even close to 2 times the MSRP. Based on what I paid, for the record!
Reply With Quote
(#60)
Old
ncohafmuta's Avatar
ncohafmuta is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 2,514
View Traders Comments
Join Date: December 14, 2009
Send a message via Yahoo to ncohafmuta
Default March 14, 2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman925 View Post
I'm a bit mixed up. Are we talking about having Fuente make a series of cigars and offering them to auction, or are we talking about cf members putting lots together from their own collections?
I'm starting to think more the former.
Anybody can pretty much do their own auction with their own sticks whenever they want, just check with Drew first.

I think most though are talking something bigger.
I wasn't talking in the 10s of thousands of dollars, but more of a recurring one that made a couple hundred a month. Even one a quarter at the minimum.

-Tony


Please do not breathe while i'm smoking.
---
CFCF Centurion

Reply With Quote
(#61)
Old
opusXmarco's Avatar
opusXmarco is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 7,197
View Traders Comments
Join Date: February 28, 2001
Default March 14, 2012, 09:04 PM

Hollan,

Maybe we can do the auction inconjunction with a donation, like we discussed during CFC. Since not everyone can partake in the auction due to limited funds, say we ad a donation and the TShirt deal.

Say you have a budget and you bid, you're then outbid and no longer in your budget,
but then you can make a donation and get a t-shirt...either way you still partake and feel good about doing something good.

Just an idea.



Havana, Cuba
Reply With Quote
(#62)
Old
opusXmarco's Avatar
opusXmarco is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 7,197
View Traders Comments
Join Date: February 28, 2001
Default March 14, 2012, 09:05 PM

I wish they had an 'edit' button...ugh!



Havana, Cuba
Reply With Quote
(#63)
Old
mrsea's Avatar
mrsea is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 8,992
View Traders Comments
Join Date: December 10, 1998
Default March 15, 2012, 12:53 AM

F+N should bring another auction on asap.
I will do my best to gather the most $ for CFC.Whether it be by donating a lot,OR sweetining the lot to stimulate higher bidding.

All about the kids in D.R.

Hollan,as you know,this takes an enormous chunk of time for the host.
Is it possible for someone from either the Newman,or Fuente group to spare a Drew Jr. to handle the cyberwork?


Fish and Visitors, stink,after 3 days...
Reply With Quote
(#64)
Old
Ric Web's Avatar
Ric Web is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 20,330
View Traders Comments
Join Date: February 27, 2001
Default March 15, 2012, 10:45 AM

Thanks for the kind note Weckworth!


The auctions we have run over the years (since I joined 11 years ago) have raised over $200,000 just from Paducah.

I would be delighted to partner with my good friend Hollan to run another, and believe if there are enough smaller LOTS then everybody can contribute. We should also do Raffle LOTS and ANYBODY can buy lots......I bet I can get Rich to assist with some nice donations :-)

Just let me know :-)

I started doing the Thanksgiving Day auctions to capture the THANKSGIVING SPIRIT, and it grew into a monster...with a life of it's own!

I will be the INBOUND location for any donations, and have the capacity to store them and the proven track record of delivering post auction........which is ALWAYS an important piece!
Reply With Quote
(#65)
Old
alwayssmokin's Avatar
alwayssmokin is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 12,932
View Traders Comments
Join Date: November 4, 2001
Default March 15, 2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsea View Post
Hollan,as you know,this takes an enormous chunk of time for the host. Is it possible for someone from either the Newman,or Fuente group to spare a Drew Jr. to handle the cyberwork?
John, I have no idea. Drew just posted on my other thread that if there was interest in an auction he would talk to Rich D. All I am doing at this point is testing the waters for interest (which their appears to be). If the F/Ns decide they are interested in having an auction I am sure the details of getting it done could be worked out. I'm willing to help in any way I can and I know there are many more who would volunteer. You are absolutely correct that doing an auction is a big commitment.


[SIGPIC][/SIGPI
Reply With Quote
(#66)
Old
Ric Web's Avatar
Ric Web is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 20,330
View Traders Comments
Join Date: February 27, 2001
Default March 15, 2012, 10:52 AM

Big challenge? YES

BIG success? Almost always

Good cause? Really?....:-)
Reply With Quote
(#67)
Old
alwayssmokin's Avatar
alwayssmokin is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 12,932
View Traders Comments
Join Date: November 4, 2001
Default March 15, 2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric Web View Post
Big challenge? YES
BIG success? Almost always
Good cause? Really?....:-)
Well look who the cat drug in! LOL Looks like Ric is pumped about another "Epic Auction" as he so eloquently put it in an SS to me a few minutes ago.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this thing may have legs!


[SIGPIC][/SIGPI
Reply With Quote
(#68)
Old
Ric Web's Avatar
Ric Web is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 20,330
View Traders Comments
Join Date: February 27, 2001
Default March 15, 2012, 12:33 PM

I don't do that crazy auction talk, but I can galvanize the party!

I'll call Rich and tell him the Drew said he should donate tons of stuff! :-)
Reply With Quote
(#69)
Old
alwayssmokin's Avatar
alwayssmokin is Offline

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal
 
Posts: 12,932
View Traders Comments
Join Date: November 4, 2001
Default March 15, 2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric Web View Post
I don't do that crazy auction talk, but I can galvanize the party!

I'll call Rich and tell him the Drew said he should donate tons of stuff! :-)
LOL


[SIGPIC][/SIGPI
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin customized by: E Solutions Corporation