Events
Room
Chat
Room
Join the
Cigar Family!
Directory
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   CigarFamily.com -- Official Site of the Arturo Fuente and J.C. Newman Cigar Family > The Accessories Room
Reload this Page Plans for a large humidor?
eagle32       Jan. 02, 2011 03:03 pm
Smokin' B       Jan. 02, 2011 05:57 pm
Smokin' B       Jan. 02, 2011 05:58 pm
cibao       Jan. 02, 2011 06:09 pm
eagle32       Jan. 02, 2011 06:30 pm
eagle32       Jan. 02, 2011 06:41 pm
Smokin' B       Jan. 02, 2011 06:59 pm
eagle32       Jan. 02, 2011 07:01 pm
The Volusianator       Jan. 03, 2011 10:57 am
BW       Jan. 03, 2011 06:41 pm
eagle32       Jan. 03, 2011 11:00 pm
Smokin' B       Jan. 06, 2011 07:39 pm
eagle32       Jan. 07, 2011 01:07 am

Forum Jump

Plans for a large humidor?
(#1)
Old
No Avatar

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal

View Traders Comments
Default Plans for a large humidor? - January 2, 2011, 03:03 PM

Looking to get a solid plan for a DIY project. Want to build an armoir humidor....just a wood working project now that I got some good tools to work with. Any word on plans would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ryan

Great link for cigar reviews and pics

www.SmokingStogie.com

“I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form.”

~Winston Churchill
(#2)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default January 2, 2011, 05:57 PM

Here's a 2D picture of the 3D model of the one I'm building (doors closed, doors open, and the frame). I have the wood and was just starting it in the fall when I got bronchitis and had no interest in doing anything involving dust! I plan to build it once the warm weather arrives in the spring since I work in an unheated garage. The outside dimensions are 4'-8" high, 3'-2" wide, and 2'-2" deep. It's an insulated humi since I wanted to add cooling, so the inside dimensions are 3-4" smaller. It has 3 slide out shelves and a slide out drawer. I'm contemplating adding another shelf to the bottom rather than store on the bottom and limit access. I made it this small to make it easier to move since I already know I'll be moving at least twice in the next several years. Every piece and joint has been designed. I'd be happy to send you the model if that might help you with some ideas. I had planned on the dark wood being walnut and the light inlays being something else (perhaps a tiger or spalted maple).

What tools do you have to work with? I would say at a minimum you'd need a jointer, planer, table saw, router, miter saw, and something to sand with (or you could hand sand and build the muscles in your forearms). I'm only an amateur woodworker and I'm sure somebody like the Volusionater could offer you much better construction advice. I tried to keep the construction easy and the joints strong. I basically designed a frame to support the structure and shelves, a thin Spanish cedar plywood interior face, and the outside panels. The insulation fills the gaps in the frame (1-1/2"). If any more seasoned woodworkers have any comments on my design I welcome your feedback. Ryan, I think I still have your number in my SS's. I'd be happy to give you a call some evening this week if you want to talk more about what you're thinking of doing.

Good luck and have fun. My projects are never perfect. One thing I always try to keep in mind is that I'll always notice all the defects but very few other people will notice any of them!

Smokin' B, formerly known as CalixEros
(#3)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default January 2, 2011, 05:58 PM

And if you find armoire plans you like, it would be easy to modify some of the details to make it a good humidor. I'd be happy to help with that too if it helps you at all.

(#4)
Old

Default January 2, 2011, 06:09 PM

Click here eagle32

"En vez de los Niños pedir, que los Niños aprendan a dar." Carlito Fuente CFCF 2k9
(#5)
Old
No Avatar

View Traders Comments
Default January 2, 2011, 06:30 PM

That is awesome!! Thank you both! Brad - SS sent!

www.SmokingStogie.com

“I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form.”

~Winston Churchill
(#6)
Old
No Avatar

View Traders Comments
Default January 2, 2011, 06:41 PM

Brad...that is slick indeed. I have those tools and and can borrow a couple others.

Sweet design! Let's stay in touch if cool by you. # sent. Thanks again!

www.SmokingStogie.com

~Winston Churchill
(#7)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default January 2, 2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cibao View Post
I must have missed that when it was posted. That's some damn fine work sir!

(#8)
Old
No Avatar

View Traders Comments
Default January 2, 2011, 07:01 PM

Very nice....makes me want to take on two projects now.....would like to convert this guy...not bad for 600 bucks I don't think....69.5" H, 22.5" D, 42" W...

http://www.armoiresinc.com/p/british...and-tv-armoire

www.SmokingStogie.com

~Winston Churchill
(#9)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default January 3, 2011, 10:57 AM

I built my own as well, just over 6' tall , 4 wide and 2 deep. I spent lots of time looking at other humidors and finding all the things that I'd like in mine, drew it up and went to work. I could never find EXACTLY what I wanted, till I built my own.

recession.......your neighbor loses his job
depression......you lose your job
recovery........Obama loses his job
(#10)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default January 3, 2011, 06:41 PM

I built my cabinet humidor out of railroad boxcar Honduran Mahogany (you wouldn't believe the size of the boards before they were re-sawed), including shelving and drawer. Capacity is roughly 16.5 ft^3. Went with the inset door as opposed to overlay. The former was easier to seal. Doors built using stiles and rails and used glass in place of panels. Raised panels on the sides. For the backside and bottom I used .25 inch Luan. Hand-rubbed the exterior with Tung oil to a high luster.

No plans, just studied what was out there and made it as I went along. Turned out pretty good for an amateur and has been in service for 6 years now.
(#11)
Old
No Avatar

View Traders Comments
Default January 3, 2011, 11:00 PM

Man....you guys got skills w/out question.

Thanks again to Brad. Thanks for your time...was great to speak w/ ya. I owe ya bro! -Ryan

www.SmokingStogie.com

~Winston Churchill
(#12)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default January 6, 2011, 07:39 PM

Ryan, I'd try building a frame similar to this one I quickly sketched up. I'd put the lateral supports at the top & bottom and wherever you'll have a drawer attached. Line the inside with Spanish cedar, insulate the spaces between the frame, and you have just about all you need. You'll just need to do the same thing with the doors. I would use 1/2" solid cedar on teh outside of the doors, fill the middle with insulation, and add a sheet of the 1/4" Spanish cedar plywood to the outside. Any more specific questions feel free to give me a call.

(#13)
Old
No Avatar

View Traders Comments
Default January 7, 2011, 01:07 AM

Thanks Brad....once again...I'm grateful...many thanks. I'll let you know how this progresses...that is precisely the frame I was thinking of using to build the armoir humi. Thanks again! -Ryan

www.SmokingStogie.com

~Winston Churchill