Events
Room
Chat
Room
Join the
Cigar Family!
Directory
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   CigarFamily.com -- Official Site of the Arturo Fuente and J.C. Newman Cigar Family > The Clubhouse Room
Reload this Page Safeway is in big trouble
BobbyK       Nov. 02, 2011 12:48 am
alwayslit       Nov. 02, 2011 01:28 am
ShortStory       Nov. 02, 2011 01:32 am
petecaps       Nov. 02, 2011 01:40 am
Hotboy       Nov. 02, 2011 02:46 am
TheMuskyDude       Nov. 02, 2011 05:40 am
Docbarry       Nov. 02, 2011 07:32 am
hdlr       Nov. 02, 2011 07:43 am
beparrish       Nov. 02, 2011 07:58 am
Keyser Soze       Nov. 02, 2011 08:10 am
lundens       Nov. 02, 2011 08:17 am
niterider56       Nov. 02, 2011 08:23 am
Keyser Soze       Nov. 02, 2011 08:44 am
hdlr       Nov. 02, 2011 09:15 am
Prizepig       Nov. 02, 2011 09:40 am
beparrish       Nov. 02, 2011 10:06 am
TXMoose       Nov. 02, 2011 10:10 am
cubbychubby       Nov. 02, 2011 10:28 am
TXMoose       Nov. 02, 2011 10:29 am
opusXmarco       Nov. 02, 2011 10:50 am
TXMoose       Nov. 02, 2011 11:10 am
BobbyK       Nov. 02, 2011 11:43 am
SVB       Nov. 02, 2011 12:03 pm
Keyser Soze       Nov. 02, 2011 12:27 pm
Prizepig       Nov. 02, 2011 12:38 pm
Bart       Nov. 02, 2011 12:42 pm
Prizepig       Nov. 02, 2011 12:51 pm
JC       Nov. 02, 2011 01:15 pm
Wang Lung       Nov. 02, 2011 01:38 pm
family guy       Nov. 02, 2011 01:44 pm
hoffman       Nov. 02, 2011 01:51 pm
SVB       Nov. 02, 2011 04:17 pm
SVB       Nov. 02, 2011 04:33 pm
atrich       Nov. 02, 2011 04:37 pm
family guy       Nov. 02, 2011 05:01 pm
yukoff       Nov. 02, 2011 05:09 pm
gunch23       Nov. 02, 2011 05:12 pm
SVB       Nov. 02, 2011 05:54 pm
JC       Nov. 02, 2011 05:57 pm
LawTalkingGuy       Nov. 02, 2011 06:00 pm
LawTalkingGuy       Nov. 02, 2011 06:05 pm
JNeadle       Nov. 02, 2011 06:40 pm
family guy       Nov. 02, 2011 07:48 pm
lundens       Nov. 02, 2011 08:42 pm
LeBigMac       Nov. 03, 2011 04:39 pm
seagaro       Nov. 03, 2011 07:44 pm
seagaro       Nov. 03, 2011 07:54 pm
Prizepig       Nov. 03, 2011 08:38 pm
seagaro       Nov. 03, 2011 08:54 pm
EDGE       Nov. 03, 2011 08:56 pm
EDGE       Nov. 03, 2011 09:03 pm

Forum Jump

Safeway is in big trouble
(#1)
Old

View Profile  Send Smoke Signal

View Traders Comments
Default Safeway is in big trouble - November 2, 2011, 12:48 AM

this will not end well for them

http://news.yahoo.com/pregnant-mom-s...214407004.html

Anything's a dildo if you're brave enough - Abraham Lincoln
(#2)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default November 2, 2011, 01:28 AM

They took sh!t to a whole different level, damn.
(#3)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default November 2, 2011, 01:32 AM

Strange, I bet the manager's are short-lived

Terrible for the family and child, I mean 5 freaking dollars!
(#4)
Old

View Traders Comments
Send a message via ICQ to petecaps
Default November 2, 2011, 01:40 AM

Holly crap!!!

Yurz.
(#5)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default November 2, 2011, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyK View Post
Safeway is in big trouble
No, they're not. Some bimbo didn't pay for a sandwich and got in trouble...boo-hoo...

A BIG Slice of Heaven

(#6)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default November 2, 2011, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotboy View Post
No, they're not. Some bimbo didn't pay for a sandwich and got in trouble...boo-hoo...
This! Did they execute poor judgement and should've let them just pay and leave? Perhaps, but if you accidently forget to scan something @ a department store do you doubt the same thing will happen? A buddies wife had that exact scenario.

Should Safeway give their store managers the flexibility to make a judgement call on who really was shoplifting and who isn't?

But I'm sure they'll sue and get a tidy settlement to make it disappear. Only in America.

No comment.....
(#7)
Old

View Traders Comments
Send a message via AIM to Docbarry
Default November 2, 2011, 07:32 AM

How many times have you seen people munching on grapes or other fruits before paying?
That's shoplifting too but rarely prosecuted

C:\Documents and Settings\Barry\My Documents\My Pictures\wtc.jpg

ECSBC CHARTER MEMBER Tobacco is a filthy weed, I like it... Docmail
(#8)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default November 2, 2011, 07:43 AM

Judgement call IMO. Technically it's shoplifting but it's not like they had groceries stuffed down their pants. It was a young couple with a 5 y/o child, not some teenagers boosting for kicks or crack money. They made a mistake and should have been made to pay the $5 and let go. Call the police and have them arrested? Manager's a scumbag IMO. Said he didn't know the child would be taken by Child Welfare Services. WTF did he think would happen?

Pull my finger...
(#9)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default November 2, 2011, 07:58 AM

I don't think Safeway is in trouble, but those managers sure are. Not one bit of common sense was used. The couple should have been allowed to pay.

The story was a somewhat incomplete, in that it mentioned that they picked up two sandwiches and she openly munched on one while shopping, saving the wrapper so she could pay for it. Yet the story said that they didn't pay for either of them. Where was the other sandwich ??

While this is technically a case of shoplifting, it is more a case of forgetfulness. Take them upstairs, read them the riot act, allow them to pay, and send them on their way would have been the correct way to handle it. However, it may very well be that corporate rules don't allow managers to use judgment in situations like this, since it could open the door to discrimination claims.

As stated above, I'm sure the couple will receive a nice little settlement, as Safeway will buy them off to make this go away.

Kind of like those sexual harrassment claims against a certain Republican candidate.
(#10)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default November 2, 2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdlr View Post
Judgement call IMO. Technically it's shoplifting but it's not like they had groceries stuffed down their pants. It was a young couple with a 5 y/o child, not some teenagers boosting for kicks or crack money. They made a mistake and should have been made to pay the $5 and let go. Call the police and have them arrested? Manager's a scumbag IMO. Said he didn't know the child would be taken by Child Welfare Services. WTF did he think would happen?
You're letting perception get in the way of reality. They gained a product without paying for it.

Yes, my take seems harsh. Do you think the people who really scam the system, just show up and go with the "groceries stuffed down their pants" routine?!?!?!?! There are professional grifters, that pull this crap EVERY day. They pray on your perceptions to do so.

How do we REALLY know she was prego? IF she is, so what?!?!??!

All shoplifting costs the same, I could care less if the criminal was knocked up.

If you would arrest 2 gang bangers for the crime, these 2 are no different!!!

Stop weeping for people, they only take advantage of it.

"You really learn about life, when you have to stare your death square in the eyes."
(#11)
Old
lundens is Online

View Traders Comments
Send a message via ICQ to lundens
Default November 2, 2011, 08:17 AM

I had a friend in mgmt in security at a large retailer. The security procedures were as much about avoiding lawsuits as they were about stopping shoplifting.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
- Albert Einstein
(#12)
Old

Default November 2, 2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
You're letting perception get in the way of reality. They gained a product without paying for it.

Yes, my take seems harsh. Do you think the people who really scam the system, just show up and go with the "groceries stuffed down their pants" routine?!?!?!?! There are professional grifters, that pull this crap EVERY day. They pray on your perceptions to do so.

How do we REALLY know she was prego? IF she is, so what?!?!??!

All shoplifting costs the same, I could care less if the criminal was knocked up.

If you would arrest 2 gang bangers for the crime, these 2 are no different!!!

Stop weeping for people, they only take advantage of it.
How many grifters are Staff seargents in the air force. It was a case of both sides screwing up, but one side screwed up far more.

America
designed by geniuses
to be run by idiots

(#13)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default November 2, 2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider56 View Post
How many grifters are Staff seargents in the air force. It was a case of both sides screwing up, but one side screwed up far more.
Doesn't change a thing.... Taking something of value and not paying is theft. I don't care if you're Gandhi.

The point I'm trying to make seems to be waaay over your head. This is about perception and to a point classism (if that's even a word)

2 dudes with their pants around their knees and we'd be calling for a chain gang stint, to teach em' a lesson Maybe even suggest the military might do them some good....

It's a "staff sergeant" it's just an honest mistake.

BTW, I would expect a better attention to detail from a military leader.

"You really learn about life, when you have to stare your death square in the eyes."
(#14)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default November 2, 2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:

Yes, my take seems harsh.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion. I just don't think some on here would feel the same way if it was their wife that made the same mistake. Or in Hotboy's case, his boyfriend.

Pull my finger...
(#15)
Old

View Traders Comments
Send a message via ICQ to Prizepig
Default November 2, 2011, 09:40 AM

I was involved with a shoplifter many, many years ago. First time she got caught, I didn't know about it until much later. Second time she got caught, she came up with the exact same "I just forgot to pay" story and like a sap, I believed her - because I didn't know about the first time. Third time she got caught it was by me while we were still grocery shopping together, and she told me that she absentmindedly put the item in her purse instead of her shopping bag. Again, like a sap I believed her, so we just paid for all of the items and there was no "record" of the event. Fourth time she got busted and I had to bail her out of jail, as she was staring at a felony for a third conviction (THAT was when I found out about the first time she got caught). EVERY time it was a grocery store and every time she had some items she paid for, and some items she shoplifted.

BTW, the way the police handled this was that if you had no previous arrest record and it was a minor amount under $100, they just issued you a summons to court - like for a trafffic ticket - and let you go immediately. If the police here had handled this the same way, and if the couple had no previous arrest record (something the story does not say and which the "reporter" apparently failed to investigate and something which might make a HUGE difference as to how you view this case), then all of this could have been avoided. But I have no problem with what Safeway did here.

And I definitely do NOT agree with the "just let them pay and let them go" crowd, because that establishes no record of the event and THAT is how folks can get away with this crap for years.

Anyway, I am guessing that they knew damn well what they were doing and what they were doing was trying to get away without paying for the food. And I'm guessing this was not the first time, either. Regardless, this is a good reason not to consume ANYTHING that is not yours, and it is not yours until you PAY for it.

Worst. Generation. Ever.
(#16)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default November 2, 2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prizepig View Post
Anyway, I am guessing that they knew damn well what they were doing and what they were doing was trying to get away without paying for the food. And I'm guessing this was not the first time, either. Regardless, this is a good reason not to consume ANYTHING that is not yours, and it is not yours until you PAY for it.
+1.

The explanation as to why the consumed sandwich wasn't paid for is believable. But the second sandwich wasn't paid for either. That leads me to believe that this was not an oversight, but was was intentional.
A little rant...
(#17)
Old

Default A little rant... - November 2, 2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdlr View Post
Judgement call IMO. Technically it's shoplifting but it's not like they had groceries stuffed down their pants. It was a young couple with a 5 y/o child, not some teenagers boosting for kicks or crack money. They made a mistake and should have been made to pay the $5 and let go. Call the police and have them arrested? Manager's a scumbag IMO.
I have been saying for a long time, and this proves my point, companies (generally speaking) are not hiring quality managers and poorly train management to run these operations who are in direct contact with the public (If you think I am wrong, ever been to a Walmart, AutoZone, etc.???). They do this to save a few bucks on salaries. This could/should be the type of decision made by a manager. But chances are, this manager tried to get hold of the reporting chain of command and could not reach someone and thought he would make a name for himself by prosecuting a simple case. Retail has a metric by which they are measured...shrink. Prosecuting and these two being found guilty will "justify" the loss on paper. Now Safeway has a scapegoat and will probably do what someone else said, pay it off to make it go away. There are good managers out there, sure. Clearly this one security person decided to "catch" an easy shoplifter. He should get the real ones...the ones who steal intentionally and as a result cause the prices on everything to skyrocket.

One the note of the police that responded, their responses bode a little different. Don't they have to follow certain guidelines in regards who to arrest, based on if the individual has a past criminal history and such? If this couple was clean, would they have been arrested? I would think not, but cannot say for sure. If these two have a criminal history they would have to act accordingly. There really are leeches out there who do this daily (eat and don't pay). I do not know this couple so in no way cast a judgement. This should be used as an example for all- DON'T EAT STUFF BEFORE YOU BUY IT. I see mom's breaking open stuff off the shelves for their little kids in the shopping carts regularly...just to get them to stop screaming.
(#18)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default November 2, 2011, 10:28 AM

Family just won the lottery, courtesy of Safeway.
Rant addition/perspective...
(#19)
Old

Default Rant addition/perspective... - November 2, 2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
BTW, the way the police handled this was that if you had no previous arrest record and it was a minor amount under $100, they just issued you a summons to court - like for a trafffic ticket - and let you go immediately. If the police here had handled this the same way, and if the couple had no previous arrest record (something the story does not say and which the "reporter" apparently failed to investigate and something which might make a HUGE difference as to how you view this case), then all of this could have been avoided. But I have no problem with what Safeway did here.

I may have cast the wrong shadow a few minutes ago, and apologize for doing so. I would always support the management in a case like this, up front. The people "caught" have something to lose....far more to lose than what the manager can gain. The manager's responsibility to the company for which he is employed, is to deal with a problem when it arises. As he follows his protocol he sticks to his policy and he is "safe" in regards to his actions. The police have rules to follow as well. I would support those up front as well. They have ZERO to gain in something like this.

This most likely is a case sensationalized by the media, driven by someone not directly involved, i.e. a grandparent, upset patron in the store, etc., and all the facts were not given. My guess is this couple, one or both of them, have done this in the past. Maybe even in this store. Maybe even caught in this store. Could the security person have recognized them from a previous incident? YES! If that be the case, the manager could have cut them a break before and told them to never return. And when they did, security watched them, and the manager responded accordingly.

My point a minute ago was a rant about how businesses are run, in general, today, specifically on the retail end of things. Bottom line is, it is not your (in this scenario) unless you pay for it FIRST.
(#20)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default November 2, 2011, 10:50 AM

Who's this TXMoose? He has two posts and already throwing in his 2 cents. An introduction first would've been nice...newbs.

Anyways, I say the manager handled it the wrong way. A bit over the top. But I'm not condoning what they did. I agree with Ken, it's not yours until you pay for it. They should have purchased it and then went outside to eat it... JMO.

Havana, Cuba
You're right...newb
(#21)
Old

Default You're right...newb - November 2, 2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opusXmarco View Post
Who's this TXMoose? He has two posts and already throwing in his 2 cents. An introduction first would've been nice...newbs.

Anyways, I say the manager handled it the wrong way. A bit over the top. But I'm not condoning what they did. I agree with Ken, it's not yours until you pay for it. They should have purchased it and then went outside to eat it... JMO.
Greetings everyone. I apologize for the interjection without following on-line courtesies. Thought it would be a good way to be involved in intelligent conversations. I look forward to this forum for the camaraderie and dialog.
(#22)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default November 2, 2011, 11:43 AM

what disturbs me most about this story is their 2-year old daughter was taken from them for 18 hours, even though they were released on bail ($50! wtf?). anyone who's a parent can identify with that horror. whether they meant to steal the sandwich or not (and their story sounds very plausible), how the hell is it appropriate to take a child away from her parents overnight? that is seriously messed up.

Anything's a dildo if you're brave enough - Abraham Lincoln
(#23)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default November 2, 2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuskyDude View Post
This! Did they execute poor judgement and should've let them just pay and leave? Perhaps, but if you accidently forget to scan something @ a department store do you doubt the same thing will happen? A buddies wife had that exact scenario.

Should Safeway give their store managers the flexibility to make a judgement call on who really was shoplifting and who isn't?

But I'm sure they'll sue and get a tidy settlement to make it disappear. Only in America.
Well let's see......
1) They weren't in a department store where you can't eat pants while shopping.
2) They just moved to Honolulu from Cali 2 days before, took them 3 hours to figure out how to get to the store via bus etc, the Mom is 7 months pregnant and physically stressing when they get there. Sounds like a hectic precursor.

Are we saying that an honest mistake couldn't happen during what seems like an overwhelming course of events? That an oversight in the nefarious crime of sammich stealing should lead to an 18 hour seperation of parents & daughter?

Now maybe they both have records for shoplifting? If so, sure it was probably planned though don't understand the benefit of skipping a $5 sandwich tab.

In the meantime I would argue that maybe we give them a little human dignity and the benefit of the doubt.

Or you can go with Hotboy's assesment and call her a bimbo because he's so wise in the way's of the world?
(#24)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default November 2, 2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVB View Post
Well let's see......
1) They weren't in a department store where you can't eat pants while shopping.
2) They just moved to Honolulu from Cali 2 days before, took them 3 hours to figure out how to get to the store via bus etc, the Mom is 7 months pregnant and physically stressing when they get there. Sounds like a hectic precursor.

Are we saying that an honest mistake couldn't happen during what seems like an overwhelming course of events? That an oversight in the nefarious crime of sammich stealing should lead to an 18 hour seperation of parents & daughter?

Now maybe they both have records for shoplifting? If so, sure it was probably planned though don't understand the benefit of skipping a $5 sandwich tab.

In the meantime I would argue that maybe we give them a little human dignity and the benefit of the doubt.

Or you can go with Hotboy's assesment and call her a bimbo because he's so wise in the way's of the world?

Until everyone is allowed to "forget" to scan an item, no one is. Regardless of the circumstances or social rank. That's the part that bothers me, really. Plenty of excuses, but it's stealing. No, we cannot even allow Salomon to use wisdom here, it's not a point of judgment.

"In the meantime I would argue that maybe we give them a little human dignity and the benefit of the doubt."

Then you have to extend that to EVERYONE caught, regardless of circumstance or perspective.

Because they were 'this' or 'that' is irrelevant.

(#25)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default November 2, 2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMoose View Post
This most likely is a case sensationalized by the media, driven by someone not directly involved, i.e. their trail lawyer, etc., and all the facts were not given.
fix.t

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyK View Post
whether they meant to steal the sandwich or not (and their story sounds very plausible).
"I forgot to pay" generally sounds plausible. Funny, but in my entire life I never once "forgot to pay."

Quote:
don't understand the benefit of skipping a $5 sandwich tab.
I do.

Five dollars.

Worst. Generation. Ever.
(#26)
Old

Default November 2, 2011, 12:42 PM

"Who breaks a butterfly upon a wheel?"

Couldn't they just have arrested one of the parents and let the other take care of the child?
(#27)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default November 2, 2011, 12:51 PM

Upon closer inspection of the article . . .

"At the lawyer's suggestion, they took their story to the media."

So that explains that.

As for being separated from their daughter for 18 hours, I fail to see how that could possibly be Safeway's fault.

Safeway just reported an alleged crime.

From there, it is up to the police to investigate and determine whether or not the evidence warrants charging and/or arresting anyone. If the police believed her story, then they should not have arrested or charged her. Yet, the police arrested her. The Po-Po. Not Safeway.

And it was then the state child welfare folks who held their kid for 18 hours. Again, not Safeway.

This is NOTHING but some greedy trial lawyer looking for a payday, and like the feebleminded dolts that populate most American juries, it sounds like some of you are tripping over yourselves to give it to him.

Worst. Generation. Ever.
(#28)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default November 2, 2011, 01:15 PM

I blame the lawyers (specifically PrizePig) & the Canadians (specially the French ones).

& SVB, stop bein logical.... This is CF....logic doesn't work...

“Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. He who understands it, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it.”
(#29)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default November 2, 2011, 01:38 PM

It's over. Except for the settlement.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...a144339D71.DTL

Maybe this "victim" will get the same deal?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...MN5J1LNN4V.DTL
(#30)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default November 2, 2011, 01:44 PM

Safeway aint paying $hit...Someone make a case why they should.

Quote:

Dallas & FG by mcmcapital44, on Flickr
(#31)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default November 2, 2011, 01:51 PM

Funny, I go to Safeway every Staurday morning after I hit Starbucks for coffee. Almost w/o exception I get a donut first thing to eat while I shop. 80% of the time they don't have the register open at the bakery and the clerk tells me just pay for it when I check out (which I do). Guess I get a pass cause I am a regular and they know me.

If I weren't though I would probably go up front and pay for it first. Besides the self checkout kiosks are pretty easy to use and rarely is there a line.

dhoffman1421 at att dot net
(#32)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default November 2, 2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
I blame the lawyers (specifically PrizePig) & the Canadians (specially the French ones).

& SVB, stop bein logical.... This is CF....logic doesn't work...
does not compute....does not compute....warning warning warning...danger......
(#33)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default November 2, 2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Until everyone is allowed to "forget" to scan an item, no one is. Regardless of the circumstances or social rank. That's the part that bothers me, really. Plenty of excuses, but it's stealing. No, we cannot even allow Salomon to use wisdom here, it's not a point of judgment.

"In the meantime I would argue that maybe we give them a little human dignity and the benefit of the doubt."

Then you have to extend that to EVERYONE caught, regardless of circumstance or perspective.

Because they were 'this' or 'that' is irrelevant.
I guess its just not that black & white to me and there is a difference between a $5 sandwich and $2000 leather pants. I certainly don't think they deserve any sort of "settlement" and hope they don't get one.
(#34)
Old

View Traders Comments
Send a message via AIM to atrich Send a message via MSN to atrich
Default November 2, 2011, 04:37 PM

From the facts given, two scenarios are possible:

1) They ate the sandwiches and intentionally didn't scan the wrappers at the checkout.

2) They ate the sandwiches and accidentally forget about the wrappers when they paid for everything else.

Both of these are entirely within the realm of possibility, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised by either one. If it's the former, they're guilty of petty larceny (shoplifting). If it's the latter, they *might* be guilty of something close to shoplifting, where the crime requires concealment and removal from the store. But I doubt any judge or jury anywhere would convict them. And if it *was* accidental, the store manager is a phuckwad.

p.s. please refrain from deleting this post.

email Todd
(#35)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default November 2, 2011, 05:01 PM

Where is it stated that you eat your food before you pay for it in a grocery store? I have never just started eating a meal while shopping. I have not seen anyone do it either. They stole and got cought, end of story.

Quote:

(#36)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default November 2, 2011, 05:09 PM

Folks, this is sensationalism at its best - the whole story is from the shoplifter's point of view and is designed for discussion - just look at all the one-sided comments at the bottom of the editorial. Nowhere did they offer Safeway's point of view, nor did they report details about the police report, which is typically public information and could have clarified a lot of questions above.

Why this article shows up under "Business" section is beyond me, it's more fitting in the "Entertainment" secion.
(#37)
Old
No Avatar

View Traders Comments
Default November 2, 2011, 05:12 PM

I liked the part that they paid with "WIC" vouchers. So in essence, "we" paid for their groceries. I saw the story on the news, and I was not convinced that they "forgot" to pay. Just my .02
(#38)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default November 2, 2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by family guy View Post
Where is it stated that you eat your food before you pay for it in a grocery store? I have never just started eating a meal while shopping. I have not seen anyone do it either. They stole and got cought, end of story.
I've had a snack and drink whilst shopping, at Safeway as a matter of fact.
(#39)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default November 2, 2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
I guess its just not that black & white to me and there is a difference between a $5 sandwich and $2000 leather pants. I certainly don't think they deserve any sort of "settlement" and hope they don't get one.
SVB bein logical again......

Quote:
I've had a snack and drink whilst shopping, at Safeway as a matter of fact.
Me too.... Mmm boneless spicy wings

“Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. He who understands it, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it.”
(#40)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default November 2, 2011, 06:00 PM

I also saw them on the news, and was not convinced. Then again, I regularly see sandwich and other food wrappers empty and stuffed in amongst the canned goods, at least they didn't do that.

I began typing a long reply about the problems related to being on a rock 2500 miles from anyplace. The many that come and scam locals and then fly away, or are stuck here with low paying jobs, and continue to scam. You should try some of the banking practices based on these problems. The many homeless, etc. But
erased it and figured, why bother. Just start a whole new hubbub.

Have a great day all.

"I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said." - William F. Buckley, Jr.
(#41)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default November 2, 2011, 06:05 PM

I also saw them on the news, and was not convinced. Then again, I regularly see sandwich and other food wrappers empty and stuffed in amongst the canned goods, at least they didn't do that.

I began typing a long reply about the problems related to being on a rock 2500 miles from anyplace. The many that come and scam locals and then fly away, or are stuck here with low paying jobs, and continue to scam. You should try some of the banking practices based on these problems. Lots of homeless too. Remember, they would have had out of state ID.

In the end I erased it and figured, why bother. Just start a whole new hubbub.

Have a great day all.

"I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said." - William F. Buckley, Jr.
(#42)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default November 2, 2011, 06:40 PM

Ooohhhhh, they "Forgot" to pay?!?!?! WTF?
(#43)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default November 2, 2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunch23 View Post
I liked the part that they paid with "WIC" vouchers. So in essence, "we" paid for their groceries. I saw the story on the news, and I was not convinced that they "forgot" to pay. Just my .02

It's a sad fact that most military families are eligible for WIC. Lets hope this guy is not handling nuke codes, it would be a real bad day if he forgot them.

Quote:

(#44)
Old
lundens is Online

View Traders Comments
Send a message via ICQ to lundens
Default November 2, 2011, 08:42 PM

For the sake of argument,

A) Is it an accepted practice by the grocery store to allow people to eat items while shopping with the expectation that they will pay for these items when they check out.

if so) does the grocery store create a situation (or not create a good system) which an honest person can make a mistake and subsequently be accused of a crime?

if not) then does the grocery store make it clear that this is an unexceptionable practice and attempt to stop or warn people from this practice.

I have never eaten an item while shopping and consider it a poor behavior when I have seen it, but I have never seen it discouraged.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
- Albert Einstein
(#45)
Old

Default November 3, 2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docbarry View Post
How many times have you seen people munching on grapes or other fruits before paying?
That's shoplifting too but rarely prosecuted
I can't stand those 'grazers'... just bad manners
(#46)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default November 3, 2011, 07:44 PM

I suppose this is the same thing. Same excuse. REALLY???

http://www.insidebayarea.com/castro-valley/ci_19219941
(#47)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default November 3, 2011, 07:54 PM

Should add that in another news account, the items totaling $2,400were in a shopping bag when she left the store. Her attorney said she was planning to purchase the items, but then got distracted and left the store. Is that believable?
(#48)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default November 3, 2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagaro View Post
Is that believable?
The "I forgot to pay" story is only believable when you wind up getting separated from your little kid for 18 hours.

Worst. Generation. Ever.
(#49)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default November 3, 2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
The "I forgot to pay" story is only believable when you wind up getting separated from your little kid for 18 hours.

true
(#50)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default November 3, 2011, 08:56 PM

Something is being ignored. She ate the sandwich and said she was saving the wrapper to pay at the register. Was the F'in wrapper in the shopping cart????? Well I suppose not or it would have been handed to the clerk. The people were stealing. Period. How it was handled by the company representatives doesn't make it anything less than stealing, but the two negatives don't make it right. Customer and the store need to get their acts together.

I'm not an expert, I just play one on the Internet.
(#51)
Old

View Traders Comments
Default November 3, 2011, 09:03 PM

.........That's like saying while in the OpusX humidor in the at the Fuentes rolling house I was holding and admiring a beautiful cigar. We all walked out of the humidor but I had forgotten to put the cigar back in the rack. I'm so embarrassed. I don't know what to do. I've got it! Take the band off, throw in the shopping cart and smoke the cigar on the tour......Oh sweet Jesus! What have I done. I forgot to claim the cigar at check out.

I'm not an expert, I just play one on the Internet.